Due to unusually heavy submissions, The Northern Virginia Review has reached its limit for the number of submissions allowed this month by our Submittable account. If you would like to submit work, please send it as an email attachment to email@example.com. Submissions will be accepted through the end of the day on October 30. Please review the guidelines below before submitting.
The Northern Virginia Review considers previously unpublished short fiction, non-fiction, poetry, photography, and artwork. We welcome all work that comes from the heart and speaks to our common humanity. We recommend viewing previous samples of published prose, poetry, and visual art in our current and past issues.
(NOVA Faculty: Scholarly or pedagogical articles intended exclusively for professional academics should be submitted to Inquiry, the journal of the Virginia Community Colleges.)
All published work is eligible for our annual contest. Winners will be awarded cash prizes for best work in a genre.
To be considered for publication, please follow these guidelines:
- You must be a resident of the Mid-Atlantic region or Virginia or be NOVA faculty, staff or alumni.
- For each annual issue, the number of submissions from one person is limited to two essays, two works of fiction, three pieces of art, and five poems. The total number of submissions from one person may not exceed five items in any mix of the above categories.
- All work should be submitted electronically through our submission manager. Please include a 2-4 sentence third-person bio not exceeding 100 words, along with complete contact information.
- Attach each written submission in a separate file as a Word document, double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman. Poetry can be single spaced. Fiction and non-fiction pieces should not exceed 6000-6500 words in length. Please do not include your name on the submission itself. We read all of our submissions blind.
- Attach art work and photographs of 300 dpi resolution, sized to 5 X 7 inches or as close as photo proportions will allow. Please include the title (or titles) of your work(s). NOTE: We do not publish art work embedded in text.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but please notify us immediately if you need to withdraw a submission due to publication elsewhere.
If you have questions, please contact Ruth Stewart, Editor-in-Chief.