NOVA Honors Program
Students enrolled in the Honors program are expected to complete 18-21 hours of Honors courses.
- Honors Program at NOVA
- Apply to the Honors Program
- Honors Course Permission Form (submit to Honors Chair)
To be eligible to get an Honors credit in the course, students must have completed all prerequisites for that course and be admitted to the Honors Program or meet at least ONE of the criteria listed below:
Document a combined score of at least 1200 out of 1600 on the SAT critical reading and math sections or at least 1800 out of 2400 with a score of at least 600 on each section; or
Document a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 at the last academic institution attended (high school, college, or university); or
Present recommendations from two high school teachers (if currently a high school student) or from two college teaching faculty or counselors based on any course taken at a college or university.
Honors Option Credit in PHY 231-232
There is an Honors Option for selected sections of PHY 231-232. In order to check whether a section offers the Honors Option, students must contact their instructor.
The Honors Option
Students may take only one or several Honors Option Classes without enrolling in the Honors Program.
- Submit the Honors Option Agreement in pdf and or in rtf to the instructor.
- Note. Students must meet the Academic Rigor requirement before they consider applying for the Honors Option.
Phy 231 Suggested Articles
- Browse the Ig Nobel Prizes
- Carried by impulse: The physics of water jetpacks, Matthew Vonk and Peter Bohacek, Physics Today, January 2013, p.54
- Bioelectric signaling controls tissue shape and structure, Johanna L. Miller, Physics Today, March 2013, p.16
- Drilling to Earth’s mantle, Susumu Umino, Kenneth Nealson, and Bernard Wood, Physics Today, August 2013, p.36
- Arctic Center Offers Extreme Hands-On Education, Tony Feder, Physics Today, July 2013, p.20
Phy 232 Suggested Projects
- Turn your iPad or iPhone into a Spectrograph
- Earth’s Magnetic Field
- Join the Research Lab conducted by Prof. W. Majewski on the AN campus.
Suggested Events to Attend
- NOVA SPS chapter events.
- The Honors Program event.
- The University of Maryland Observatory’s Open House.