Do students need to be present during class?
The short answer is yes. While I allow some flexibility for emergencies, students who do not attend class regularly and do not keep up with the weekly work fall behind and eventually withdraw.
What do we need to purchase for the class?
I lecture and use videos – so you are not required to purchase a textbook. Instead of third-party homework, I use free google quizzes.
I do use basic lab tools, however, which you will need to purchase. For Physics 231, that amounts to about $20. For Physics 232 – it is close to $50. I will give you a detailed list on the first day of the semester. Students usually have 2-3 weeks to purchase the necessary items.
Do we use the lab periods?
What do we do during lecture time?
Why do we need to use the Google Suite?
What are the tests like?
I don’t use the Respondus lockdown browser. Neither do I use Zoom to monitor tests. I do not require students to turn on their cameras. I do require, however, that everyone learn to use the Google Suite for which I help them.
What are all the tech tools used in our class?
- Zoom for class time and recordings
- Canvas for tests, assignments, and grades keeping
- Google Tools
- The Drive to store and share class notes and other class materials
- The Suite for easy sharing and collaboration and for quick feedback from me on classwork
- The Forms as quizzes for free online homework
- Socrative.com – for class practice and participation
- Slack – as a backup means for communication (for when the College system is down) and as a chat platform for students to get in touch with me and with each other.