Alexandria Department of Community and Human Services
The Office of Community Services (OCS) provides rental assistance to eligible, low-income persons facing a housing crisis.
2723 King Street
Alexandria VA 22302
Provides donated mattresses, beds, tables, chairs, chests, and other furniture. Pick-up from donors and delivered on weekends.
Applies to Cooling Utility Bills & Equipment
- Air conditioning unit (window) – purchase and install
- Air conditioning unit (central) – repair air conditioning unit or heat pump
- Electric bill – operate cooling equipment
- Security deposit – electric
Northern Virginia Community College
Offsets Heating Fuel Costs
Respond/Caring Program by America’s Adopt A Soldier
5400 Shawnee Road
Alexandria, VA, 22312
Respond/Caring Program provides transportation, food, household items, job search assistance, financial support and other critical support to homeless veterans, service members, veterans and their families.
The Salvation Army
–Rental assistance for families facing eviction.
-Food and gift baskets for the hungry.
-Utility assistance help to keep the lights or water on.
-Summer Camp Registration
-Back To School Supplies
Virginia Energy Assistance
Heating assistance- applies to heating emergencies
- Heating equipment – repair or replacement
- Heating equipment – supplemental (example: fuel tanks)
- Security deposit – primary heat expense
- Heating fuel/utility – primary
- For details and a complete list of assistance available, refer to the manual
Applies to Energy efficiency & Air Filtration The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) administers this program
-provides funds to install measures that reduce residential heating and cooling costs for low-income families
-provides repairs and improvements to home heating and cooling systems and provides for the installation of energy-saving measures in the house, such as insulation and air sealing.