The Student Emergency Grant program at Northern Virginia Community College operates to provide one-time financial support to students experiencing an enrollment-threatening financial emergency. Emergency funds are not intended to pay for routine education expenses and are only allocated for sudden, unexpected, or unforeseen occurrences that require immediate attention and would otherwise impact a student’s ability to remain enrolled at NOVA. Funds are not available for tuition, fees, or books.
*If a student needs financial assistance paying for tuition or books, your Financial Aid Advisor can provide you with assistance in applying for the NOVA Book and Access Grant and others.
EXAMPLES OF EMERGENCIES
- Temporary loss of job or income
- Homelessness or sudden loss of housing
- Fire in living quarters
- Theft of computer, books, clothing or other essential belongings
- Medical/dental emergency
- Food or transportation needs
- Loss of child care
To be eligible to apply for the Student Emergency Grant, you must:
- Be a registered Northern Virginia Community College student during the semester in which the funds would apply (credit or non-credit)
- Be in compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress, with a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Provide documentation of the emergency
- Not have received emergency funds during the current academic year
Emergency assistance to non-eligible students may be allocated based on a personal assessment and income status. New students (less than two quarters), Dual Enrollment students, and students not in compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress will be considered on an individual, case-by-case, basis. This will be determined by the NOVA Student Emergency Grant Committee.
GRANT DISBURSEMENT & PAYMENT
Grant payments will be disbursed through the NVCC Educational Foundation and will be paid via check directly to a third party provider. For example, if a student needs to pay a past due utility bill or electricity will be terminated, the funds would be paid directly to the electricity company on behalf of the student.
Participating students must complete on online financial assessment module though Financial Avenue and meet one-on-one with a Financial Coach. The financial coaching session may occur after receipt of funds. Participating students will also work with the Program Coordinator of the Working Students Success Network to explore need for additional NOVA and community resources that will support financial capability.
STUDENT EMERGENCY GRANT APPLICATION STEPS
- Complete the NOVA Student Emergency Grant Application Form.
- The Working Students Success Network Program Coordinator will get in touch with you regarding your application submission, its status, and what to expect next, via email.