Night of Science

is a bi-annual K-12 community outreach event aimed at introducing children (K-12 and all interested!) to hands-on learning about a great diversity of subjects and showcasing the research and critical thinking teaching approaches of the faculty from the division of Math, Science, Technology, and Business at NOVA’s Annandale campus. The next Night of Science will be

December 19, 2018!

REGISTRATION IS CLOSED!  Thank you for your interest! We hope to repeat in Spring 2019.  

5:30 – 8:30 pm

Check in-CS Building–For instructions on how to get to the Annandale Campus and the CS building:

https://www.nvcc.edu/annandale/maps.html

Identifying the culprit based on what he ate!

We will open the labs and use the campus as an outdoor lab. There will be demos for the Anatomage table, microscopes, and more!

Professors and Professionals from Math, Anatomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology, Physics, IT, and Engineering will have experimental stations for you and your kids to enjoy.

Proper Attire is required: 

The properties of liquids

Closed toe shoes, pants, and shirts with sleeves. Kids must be accompanied by an adult.

WHAT PARENTS THINK

• “Thank you for organizing such an amazing event. We go to a ton of Science festivals in the area and this was by far the most fun and educational!  Looking forward to attending more Science Nights!”
  • “Thank you all for having us out! It was great! We look forward to the next event. “
  • “I want to qualify my opinion by saying that I have an undergraduate degree in Early Childhood, a masters degree in Elementary Education, and  Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction. I am trained as a Montessori Teacher and have taught in both elementary and university settings. What you have provided for our children was hands down, the best execution of a STEM immersion experience, I have personally ever seen.”
  • “I want to strongly underscore the need and potential for this program to radically change how children and families relate to and experience math and science, especially in higher education.”
  • “Your prizes were not more junk we didn’t need but were high quality learning materials that my kids are still telling everyone about. Our eight year old got a Galileo Thermometer that he keeps next to his bed and has been using to inform us to regulate our home temperature (I kid you not). Our five year old came home with a giant red blood cell plushie that he is sleeping with. He wants more of them. We studied them online a bit afterward and (as an early childhood person) I have to say I think these are brilliant learning tools! Thanks to this experience, he currently knows more about parts of our blood and microbes than most adults I know.”

REGISTRATION

Registration IS Closed. To register for the event, fill out the online form, and submit the Assumption of Risk and Photo Permission forms to Dr. K. Bushaw-Newton at kbushaw@nvcc.edu.

We look forward to meeting you and your kids!

Using the Anatomage Table to better understand anatomy

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUPPORT OUR PROGRAM?

IF you would like to make a tax deductible contribution to our program, please use this link to the Northern Virginia Educational Foundation and choose “Night of Science” from the dropdown menu.

https://www.nvcc.edu/alumni/donate/index.html

Thank you for your support!