CCI Alumnus Saffat Ahmed Bhuiyan Works to Build a Brighter Future for His Community and Youth

Saffat Ahmed Bhuiyan (Bangladesh, Project Management, Kirkwood Community College, 2021-2022) began his career at GEIST International Foundation in 2018 as a Youth Volunteer Officer. GEIST is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing about change in communities by addressing various social constraints. In his position, he had the opportunity to organize two international conferences including the Global Summit on Education and the Global Teachers Meet with Cadet College in collaboration with the Bangladesh Army. By the end of 2018, he was appointed as an Access Staff to coordinate the English Access Microscholarship Program. In 2019, he had the chance to work on the “Inquiry-Based Learning to Promote Science Education: AEIF Project”, which was a prestigious grant award achieved by the GEIST team in the U.S. Department of State’s AEIF project competition. The project supports alumni initiatives that promote shared values and innovative solutions to global challenges. In addition, Saffat worked on the “Wheels of Change” project, which aims to prevent violent extremism (PVE) and educate the youth of Dhaka city about PVE. In 2020, he was promoted to Administrative Executive Officer.

Saffat is currently working as an Administrative Operations Manager at GEIST International Foundation. The foundation was founded in 2017 by several alumni of exchange programs funded by the U.S. Department of State (DOS). According to their webpage, it is set to become one of the largest platforms for community work by DOS alumni. Saffat is responsible for managing the GEIST youth division in collaboration with the Global Innovation & Leadership Center (GILC), which focuses on youth development within the community. He has already founded and coordinated an impact project called the International Leadership Program on Education (ILPE), which had over 4000 participants from all over Bangladesh. Saffat is also managing a student team of around 50 students who will be participating in the International Olympiad on Empowerment, Language & Leadership in Vietnam this year. He will be accompanying them as the Team Leader and serving as the Chief Logistics Officer of IOELL 2023.

Through GEIST, Saffat has also worked on several projects that focus on teacher and youth education, including the Global Youth Assembly on Climate Action (GYACA) 2023 in collaboration with the Dhaka University Model OIC Club. “The assembly aims to address the deplorable scenario of climate change, particularly in coastal regions of Bangladesh, and the impacts faced by marginalized people due to natural disasters,” according to Saffat. He has also had the opportunity to meet with prominent public figures, such as the Minister of Education of Bangladesh, Dr. Dipu Moni, who spoke at the Global Assembly on the Futures of Education (GAFE), which he helped organize. Currently, Saffat is preparing for the upcoming English Access Microscholarship Program, which will commence in August. As the Administrative Operations Manager, he is responsible for managing the overall project in Dhaka and Sylhet, with the goal of helping 100 underprivileged students become better and more empowered individuals.

(Saffat at the 2023 Graduation Ceremony for the English Access Microscholarship Program)

Saffat recently attended a youth public engagement event at the EMK Center in Dhaka on May 3rd. There, Saffat met with New Delhi Based Regional Public Engagement Specialist Kathleen Fox. Saffat received an invitation from the Public Diplomacy Section of the U.S. Embassy, Dhaka, and the EMK Center, Dhaka. He was honored to be invited as an alumni representative and youth development representative to participate in this table conversation alongside other State alumni from different programs.

(Saffat at the Public Engagement Meet & Greet Event at the EMK Center in Dhaka with Kathleen Fox)

During his participation in the CCI Program, Saffat gained skills in project management, marketing, principles of supervision, and global business, all of which provided him with valuable insights into the world of business. “One of the most memorable experiences for me was working with reputable volunteer organizations in the USA. Engaging in community service allowed me to make new friends and help local people in need. Volunteering became an integral part of my community development efforts, and I dedicated over 150 hours to various volunteer work, which enriched my journey.” Saffat also took part in internships at Waypoint Services and Central Furniture Rescue during his time in the U.S. During his CCI journey, he also completed the Global Solutions Sustainability Challenge, a virtual exchange initiative that supports workforce development in the US, Iraq, and Jordan. He was selected for the program as a representative from Kirkwood Community College and worked on a binational team. Saffat obtained a Project Management Certificate from Kirkwood Community College and achieved the Dean’s List.

Since completing the CCI Program in May 2022, Saffat has accomplished an impressive number of achievements. He is currently studying for a Bachelor of Social Science in Information Studies at East West University and is expected to graduate in 2024. Saffat says that the CCI Program has had a positive impact on many aspects of his life as well as his society, which he has greatly contributed to. “The CCI program has made me more confident, has given me new ideas, and has helped me work toward achieving different personal and professional goals.” Saffat’s professional and academic achievements exhibit the impact that the CCI Program has on alumni, who use their skills to give back to their communities and society.

“My journey has been filled with meaningful work and interactions with diverse people and cultures. I constantly strive to motivate the youth in my community to develop and contribute to society. I firmly believe that nothing is impossible if we work hard. Throughout my CCI journey, I faced numerous challenges due to the global pandemic, but I never lost hope. In 2020, I experienced the loss of my father, which inspired me to work even harder and become a better person. I owe my achievements and success to my parents and friends. I always maintain a positive attitude and strive to make a positive impact in my life and the lives of others. The world is beautiful, and I believe in exploring it with open eyes.” Saffat’s amazing perseverance and achievements are an inspiration, and he is working to create a better, brighter world for those in his local and larger communities.

Posted in Alumni.