On Wednesday, May 27, 2015, the IRS announced its “Get Transcript” application had been compromised by cyber criminals. Over 100,000 taxpayers’ accounts were illegally accessed. The “Get Transcript” application has been temporarily disabled. The IRS has taken several additional measures to protect taxpayers and their confidential information.
This impacts students and families who may be requesting tax transcripts to complete their financial aid process. At this time, tax transcripts are only available when requested by mail and take up to ten days for delivery. Students and parents are strongly encouraged to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) available within fafsa.ed.gov. Links to a statement from the IRS and a Q & A list are provided below.
IRS’s Full Statement
Get Transcript Q & A
FAS will continue to provide updates on this issue as they become available. If you have specific questions, feel free to submit them via email.
NOVA Financial Aid Team
Want some quick information on financial aid guidelines? Check out the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators Reference Guide.
The new Student Aid Reference Sheet for 2015 -16. This guide includes updated information about Stafford Loans, Pell Grant, PLUS Loans, Federal Perkins Loans and more.
To see the 2015-16 Student Aid Reference Sheet click here.
The FSA ID – A username and password will replace the Federal Student Aid PIN. It is required to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites.
Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents.
For instruction to create your FSA ID click here: FSA ID
The purpose of the Commonwealth Legacy Scholarship Program is to increase access to higher education and to develop student leadership potential for graduating high school seniors who will be attending a Virginia Community College for the first time in Fall 2015. One ($3,125) scholarship will be awarded for the fall 2015 and spring 2016 semesters. The Student Financial Aid Committee will select the recipient in July. The recipient will be notified by August 2015. The following criteria will be used to award the scholarship:
- Commonwealth Legacy Scholars will be students attending Northern Virginia Community College for the first time in Fall 2015.
- Selections will be based on merit.
- Scholars will demonstrate academic excellence during high school.
- Scholars will demonstrate a willingness to promote community college education and the Commonwealth Legacy Scholarship Program.
- Scholars will demonstrate a willingness to mentor future scholars.
- Scholars will demonstrate a commitment to developing leadership potential.
- Students must be full-time, associate’s degree seeking students with plans to graduate from a Northern Virginia Community College.
- Scholars must agree to an interview with the selecting committee to be considered.
- If selected, recipients agree to participate in the annual Student Leadership program.
To apply, Click here Scholarship