3 Horticulture Internships Available Summer, Full-time.
The Washington National Cathedral, along with St. Albans School, National Cathedral School, and Beauvoir, The National Cathedral Elementary School, is located on a campus of 57 acres of landscaped grounds in the heart of the nation’s Capital. This internship program provides instruction and hands-on gardening experience. Under the direction of the horticulture staff, interns will participate in the installation, maintenance, conservation, and preservation of the Bishop’s Garden and the Cathedral grounds. Areas of emphasis include ornamental herb garden, herbaceous perennial borders, a hybrid-tea rose garden, a 5-acre native woodland, and a classroom vegetable garden. Proper horticulture techniques will be emphasized, including weeding, staking, pruning, watering, plant identification, and using IPM methods of insect and disease control.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are pursuing a degree in horticulture, landscape maintenance, or a
- Applicants must be able to work outside in inclement weather such as rain and extreme heat, must be able to perform physical work including bending, stooping, reaching, and standing for extended periods of time, must be able to lift, carry, and push at least 30 lbs.
- Housing is not provided and there is no
Internship time period:
- Internship is 12 weeks, with flexible start and end dates. May through August preferred.
- Interns will work Monday through Friday from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm. To enhance the educational experience, interns will visit public gardens in the surrounding Metro DC area.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Sandra Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 11, 2022. Earlier applications will receive an earlier decision
INTERNSHIP FLYER HERE: