Did you fall in love with IPM during HRT 207 Plant Pest Management? Or are you currently in the class and getting the itch to start taking care of some creepy crawlies? Environmental Enhancements, located in Sterling, is looking to hire TWO! that’s right! TWO IPM Technicians! So if you’re looking to get your start in the industry, or you’re still looking for a position to fulfill your cooperative education requirement, look no further!
We’re searching for a dedicated IPM Technician to take a role in providing our clients with the highest quality Integrated Pest Management and snow services available. As the IPM Technician, you will help promote and identify new opportunities in each account. We will also count on you to help build a team of highly-skilled individuals to fulfill workflow demands in keeping with the highest of standards—both yours and ours. To succeed in this role, you must be able to identify and treat diseases that affect plant material (trees and shrubs), turf, and grassy areas.
We are on a fast-growth track! As our IPM Technician, meeting client and company expectations will secure your reputation as a highly skilled landscape professional in the DC area. In this role, you will be expected to promote a positive company image with clients, among fellow employees, and with the public in general.
We care about our employees, our clients, and our planet. We pride ourselves on creating a team environment and creating value for every individual here at EE. We encourage creativity, innovation, and feedback, because we want to be the best landscaping company in Northern Virginia to work for.
If this is the work environment you’re looking for, we’d love to talk to you!
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Works on assigned contracts in a timely manner.
• Confirms scheduled work with IPM Manager prior to execution.
• Prior to the week’s start, reviews the upcoming weekly schedule with IPM Manager to make sure adequate labor, materials and equipment are available according to job estimates.
• Communicates daily with IPM Manager on performance and productivity methods and results.
• Assists IPM Manager evaluate results, provides suggestions for improvement to maximize business opportunities and reach company financial goals.
• Makes sure to have the appropriate tools and equipment to meet the needs of the assigned work.
• Make sure to accurately record and turn in labor and materials used in a timely manner, as per company policy.
• Completes all request forms pertaining to workforce management, materials, equipment, safety gear, tools etc…in a timely manner to the appropriate party(ies) when needed.
• Ensures that assigned work is conducted in a safe manner, following company policy and procedures as well as equipment/tool manufacturer’s operating instructions.
• Promptly addresses any production issues to IPM Manager.
• Makes sure to follow up on all clients requesting services keeping IPM manager informed with work completed as soon as work is done.
• Ensure adherence to the company proposal calendar and that contract renewals are delivered in a timely manner, including follow-up with client.
Financial Control and Budget Management
• Assists IPM Manager with reviews and monitors the financial results of all jobs in progress using established company guidelines to ensure that active jobs are achieving the financial performance goals; follows developed corrective actions to resolve performance problems for under-performing jobs.
• Ensures labor and materials direct cost estimates are met or under projections.
• Adjusts labor hours as necessary to ensure adequate financial cost and timely completion.
• Periodically reviews Production rates with IPM Manager for assigned work and provides feedback to those estimating work.
• Maintains accurate inventory records and conducts periodic counts for all materials on hand, tools, vehicles/equipment, employee uniforms and other direct or indirect costs as required by the company
• Ensures that inventory control sheets UpToDate.
Equipment and Vehicle Use and Care
• Demonstrates good care, cleanliness and custody of truck, trailer, tools and equipment by following preventative IPM procedures.
• Understands and ensures compliance with the driving policies.
• Understands and follows State Weight Station requirements and procedures, as required by law.
• Follows and understands company procedures for vehicle or equipment breakdown or other incidents.
• Understands the procedures for the usage of snow and ice equipment.
• Follows and communicates to IPM Manager requests for service and/or repair work from the shop staff.
• Assists actively researching for new tools, vehicles, and equipment available in the marketplace.
Experience and Education
• Minimum 2-year college degree in horticulture, turf management or related field preferred or proven relevant experience.
• Minimum 3 years of landscape maintenance and IPM processes and applications.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and sufficiently manage time to meet deadlines.
• Must be able to organize self and work area to maximize efficiency and minimize errors/loss of documentation.
• Must be able to read, write and converse in fluent English with clients, co-workers, government representatives and the public at-large.
• Must possess basic Spanish conversational skills.
• Be able to work with company software BOSS and all its applications.
• Create, Interpret, edit and print information using Excel and WORD software application.
• Open, create, send and receive inter and intra-company e-mails
• Must possess a basic knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication & division
• Ability to calculate the following: percentages, area, circumference, volume, diameter by use of basic geometric and other job specific mathematical calculations.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Employee is frequently required to stand, walk, handle, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk and hear. Occasionally, employee will sit, climb, or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and /or move objects up to 100 pounds. Vision ability includes close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Employees in this position are periodically exposed to outside weather conditions including extreme cold, heat, wind, and rain. Employees are occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. Employees are occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts.
Special Skills and Licensure
• Valid, current Class C license with Medical Card (DOT)
• Pesticide license – Turf, tree, shrub (VA, MD, DC)
• OSHA 10 Hour certification preferred; and /or First-Aid and CPR Certified required within 1 year of accepting position
• General estimating and budgeting system knowledge
• Proficient on job hour tracking system