What Do I Need to Complete the FAFSA

There are several items you will need to complete the FAFSA. The 2018-2019 FAFSA covers Fall 2018, Spring 2019 and Summer 2019. For 2018-2019, you will need financial information from 2016. All students will need the following information to complete the FAFSA application:

  • Your social security number
  • Your name and date of birth must match your records with the Social Security Administration
  • Your 2016 federal income tax return
    • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ
    • Foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia or Palau
  • Your 2016 W-2 forms and other records of money earned in 2016, if any income was earned
  • Your 2016 untaxed income records, if applicable (i.e. child support received, interest income, veterans’ benefits, etc.)
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current assets held outside of retirement accounts
  • Your alien registration or permanent registration card, if applicable (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

If you are a dependent student, you will also need to provide the following information for your parents:

Note: A dependent student is a student who does not meet any of the criteria for an independent student. An independent student is one of the following: at least 24 years old, married, a graduate or professional student, a veteran, a member of the armed forces, an orphan, a ward of the court, someone with legal dependents other than a spouse, an emancipated minor, someone with a court appointed legal guardian, or someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. 

  •  Parent(s) 2016 federal income tax return and W-2s
  • Parent(s) bank statements and current records for all non-retirement investment and asset accounts
  • Parent(s) social security number, date of birth (day, month and year)
  • Date your parents were married, widowed, divorced or separated

If you are married, you will also need to provide the 2016 federal income tax return information for your spouse.

Federal Student Aid Information Center

8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. Monday – Friday (EST) and 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Saturday – Sunday (EST)

Phone: 1-800-433-3243 | International: 1-334-523-2691 | Hearing Impaired: TTY calls only 1-800-730-8913

Questions about your Financial Aid award? Financial Aid assistance is available by creating a case at https://mysupport.nvcc.edu or uploading documents that are accepted electronically through the To Do List. You may also fax documents to (703) 323-3494.   Questions about financial aid eligibility? Check out the Financial Aid Blog.