Dunbarton Oaks, located in Washington D.C. and trustee for Harvard University, is looking for an experienced seasonal gardener! They’re looking to fill a full-time, term position not to exceed six months. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in working at Dumbarton Oaks, or wishing to gain additional experience in historic landscape gardening. While this position is limited to a six-month term, this candidate could be a strong internal candidate for future permanent gardening positions. So if you’re looking to dip your toes in the water, or looking for a summer job between semesters, this could be the position for you! This position is also eligible to be utilized for HRT 297 Cooperative Education credit if you still need to it fulfill your graduation requirements!
Position Title: Gardener (Temporary)
Supervisor: Director of Gardens and Grounds
Department: Gardens and Grounds
Duration/Hours: Up to 6 months, Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Assists in the general maintenance of the Dumbarton Oaks gardens and grounds. Actively participates in the daily care and maintenance of this historic 16-acre property including 10 acres of formal gardens and terraces. Works under the general supervision of the garden director, and the direct guidance of Foreperson and Crew Leaders. Works alongside gardeners, interns, and volunteers within the assigned crew, with particular responsibility for the maintenance duties pertaining to the crews’ designated sections of the gardens.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs general ground maintenance: watering, weeding, planting, pruning, fertilizer applications, pool, and fountain maintenance.
- Operates handheld tools and equipment used in performance of these duties.
- Assists in preparing the gardens for daily public visiting hours, including removal of debris from walkways and steps.
- Assists with other areas of the garden and special projects as needed. Performs related duties as required.
- Works independently with supervision and in groups as a member of a team.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools and practice.
- Must have a strong interest in horticulture, gardening, or related plant and environmental industries.
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
- Endurance to walk, stand, kneel, bend, stoop, and climb on uneven terrain, and perform work that requires repetitive motion.
- Strength to push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
This position remains open until filled. Candidates should submit their resume to: HumanResources@doaks.org.
Please use the email subject line “Temporary Gardener”
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Dumbarton Oaks views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.