One of our favorite local botanical gardens is seeking a Garden Specialist position! What other job could you have where you’re paid to play in the dirt?
The Garden Specialist is responsible for assisting with the maintenance of planted areas and lawns.
Pay Rate: $14.50 per hour
Major Duties/Specific Tasks
- Perform various landscape maintenance including weeding, mulching, edging, raking, and watering planted areas as needed.
- Plant trees, shrubs, and flowers in designated areas.
- Prune and trim plants as needed; clear brush.
- Pot seedlings and cuttings.
- Maintain cleanliness of walks by sweeping or shoveling snow.
- Mow grass using a variety of lawnmowers and tractors.
- Operate a skid loader.
- Operate small engine equipment such as backpack blowers and line trimmers.
- Assist with the coordination of volunteers.
- Assist with light show installation or special projects as needed.
- Minimum of one year of college education in a related field (or equivalent training or experience) and one year of supervisory experience or Master Gardener certification.
- Considerable knowledge of native and ornamental plant materials, intermediate plant identification, and gardening.
- Knowledge of plant propagation.
- Ability to read landscape plans.
- Considerable ability to communicate clearly and effectively with the public and staff members and prepare and present accurate reports.
- Knowledge of lawn care techniques and safe operation of equipment.
- Ability to learn skid loader or tractor operation.
- Strength and dexterity are necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor in a variety of weather conditions.
- Availability to work additional hours during peak operating times.
- Possession of or ability to obtain valid driver’s license, must maintain safe driving record.
- Required to purchase and wear standard uniform.