@ NOVA Alexandria Campus – we don’t just train filmmakers, we mold social activists with cameras
In their own words:
NOVA Alexandria Film students discuss their experience with: Film classes, Student film productions & participating in the NOVA Students Film Festival (NSFF):
NOVA is now offering an Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) in Cinema. If you are interested in majoring in Cinema, on the Alexandria campus, please talk to:
Prof. Lucy Gebre-Egziabher – firstname.lastname@example.org;
Directing Students & Acting students
Directing students work with Acting for the Camera students after one of a series of lectures on the various acting methods. Here, students work on the “Repetition Exercise” after the lecture on the Meisner Technique by Prof. Moriah Whiteman, Professor of Acting at NOVA Alexandria. Directing students learn the art of acting and get to work with Acting students.
Peer to peer education approach –
Piano Whitman, NOVA Alexandria Cinema Alum, and Cinematographer extraordinaire, among many other things, delivers an in depth lecture on Cinematography to Cinema students. Her lecture was followed by a hands-on lab/workshop, where students got to work with various lights settings they learn from lecture as well as composition. Thank you Piano for sharing your gift! You are a born educator!
We are pleased to announce that in the Fall 2019, NOVA has rolled out the AFA in Cinema degree. A number of Cinema students are enrolled in the program. The Cinema degree is only offered on the Alexandria and the Woodbridge campuses.
Please check out the AFA in Cinema class line up on the link below.
NOVA will soon be offering an AFA degree in Cinema. Most students are wondering what they should do until degree is official. Below find some guidelines that will help you stay on course until the degree is available.
AFA in CINEMA (offered at Alexandria and Woodbridge campuses)
- Enroll in the General Studies Associate of Science (AS) program until the AFA in Cinema is officially offered.
- Refer to the AFA in Cinema advising sheets in the catalog
- If a new student, enroll in the first semester Cinema AFA courses, including: CST120, CST115 or 126, CST151, ENG111, SDV101 Orientation to Fine Arts, and a social sciences elective. These will also count toward the General Studies Associate of Science (AS) program.
- New students need to enroll in SDV101, Orientation to Fine Arts, where you will be assigned a faculty advisor in the Cinema program who will help you plan your portfolio, courses, and switch you into the AFA once it has been approved.
- If a continuing student, please work with your current advisor to select courses that fulfill both your current degree program and the Cinema AFA.