One of FCI’s 2017-18 academic year film projects
FCI & NOVA alums, currently enrolled in GMU’s Film program (FAVS), come together on a film project – Consumed
Table-read of Maddie Rooks’ script “Consumed”. The film, which will be directed by Maddie, who is a NOVA alum and a senior at GMU in the FAVS program, is currently in pre-production. Crew on “Consumed” is made up of current NOVA film students and NOVA Alums and GMU FAVS students. We had a great session yesterday! Looking forward to the journey!
The 2016 FCI Film Directing workshop…in their own words:
The 2016 workshop featured an international collaboration between film students in Ethiopia and NOVA Alexandria film students. The production of Final Exam wrapped on time and was screened at the 2016 NOVA Student Film Festival to the public. Check out the making of video to witness our process…
Watch FCI students featured on (click here) NOVA TV for NOVA in Focus
It’s a wrap! Productions for Spring 2015 wrapped on schedule!
a picture is worth a thousand words…check out the picture gallery
Spring 2015 – In full force production mode
Student films are slated over the weekends of April 11th & 12th and 17th & 18th.
== // ==
FCI film students held auditions, cast their actors and rehearsed fro their upcoming film shoots; we’re ready to rock and roll!
== // ==
Fall 2015 – Collaborative report:
This year was a recruitment year for the Film Collaborative International. Students, new to NOVA and/or new to film joined the collaborative and have been prepping for new productions slated for Spring 2015 (3 short films, a music video and a short documentary).
We have been meeting regularly to prepare for the productions while at the same time learn the process of filmmaking; one stage at a time: we have now completed the development stage and have moved into the pre-production phase.
Stay tuned for more updates.
== // ==
When I joined the NOVA faculty in 2010, I noticed a growing demand for film classes and filmmaking activities. Students were eager to learn about filmmaking and get hands on training that will prepare them for careers in film. In the absence of a film program, I decided to create a group made up of my film students. The idea was to create an environment where students get practical filmmaking training to supplement what they learn in the classroom. After building the film classes on the Alexandria campus resulting in a growing number of film students, over the following years, the Film Collaborative International was established.
The Film Collaborative Int’l, created in the Fall of 2013, is an interactive group that provides students with opportunities to get practical training in film production: from script writing, directing, and acting to producing. Among the 15-20 regular members are several of my current students as well as alumni of my film classes, who come back from either the work force or area colleges to take part in filmmaking activities in order to build their reel (filmmaking portfolio).
Professionals in the field of filmmaking from the DMV area are invited to take part in these productions and they are teamed up with students according to their interests, with the objective: knowledge transfer. Some of the professionals who have volunteered to date are all award winning professionals in their respective fields: independent filmmakers, cinematographers, editors and sound engineers who have collectively worked for or have as clients the top production companies and well known cable channels such as Discovery Channel, National Geographic, the Learning Channel, etc.
The objective of this film group is simply to make films, and hopefully, make good films! 🙂
Here are the projects that the collaborative has and/or is currently working on:
- Acting: members of the collaborative that are interested in acting auditioned for, were cast and featured in NOVA commercials (some were broadcast on TV)
- students who took the screenwriting class, got to show off their talents by writing scripts for 4 short films. To check out some of the scriptwriting talents, please visit the Students scripts page.
- at the provost’s request, screenwriting students wrote a script for a promotional video about NOVA Alexandria students’ success stories which will be shot as an interdisciplinary film project on campus.
- Documentary work:
- directing students along with students interested in developing their cinematography skills, worked on a documentary on a one of a kind art exhibit that took place in Washington DC recently: the Art of Political Change – A Union of Concerned Artist
- a group of 6 students from the film collaborative are currently working on a youth outreach film for a local church (project currently in development & research stage)
- Short Films (fiction): the collaborative is in pre-production on 4 short film projects (films are written by, and will be directed, produced and acted (principal roles) by students of the collaborative). Here are our student directors, producers, cinematographers in action Update: films were shot, edited and exhibited during the 1st Annual NOVA Student Film Festival at the end of the Spring 2014. Check them out on the Students Films page.
- 48 hours film project 2014: last year’s film directing students took part in two 48 hours film projects and one was selected to be screened at the AFI. Read about our students’ first 48 hours Film Project in 2013 here.
This year the collaborative will prep and be ready to work on the 2014 48 hours film project coming up in May. With all the collaborative film projects students are engaged in this semester, they will surely be ready to take on this intense project once again. For updates go to a film in 48 hours page.