Welcome to the ESL & Language Center!
While NOVA works during the COVID-19 outbreak, all tutoring appointments at the ESL/World Language Center will be conducted virtually (online) using Zoom, the video conferencing with real-time messaging and content sharing program accessible through students’ MyNOVA portal. Click below for an appointment request form. After completing and submitting the form you will receive a confirmation email that your appointment has been made. Look for a second email shortly before your appointment containing information on how to join the Zoom meeting with your tutor. You can email the center at email@example.com if you have any questions.
The Language Center Offers:
- One-on-one tutoring services of 50 minutes per week per student. The Language Center has a pool of dedicated student tutors who are ready and able to work with a diverse student population.
- Digital sound files that accompany the laboratory manuals or textbooks used in world language classes at the Annandale Campus.
- Supplemental software programs to support the development of speaking, listening, reading and grammar skills in the language being studied.
- DVDs for student use in the Center or at home.
- Dictionaries and other supplemental texts.
- Individual or small group study space.
- Workshops and conversation groups that can give students a chance to practice what they have learned in class. Conversation groups allow students to converse with other students in English about high-interest and relevant topics to students today.
- [H]ighly impressed with the tutors at the Language and Reading/Writing Center. Christine at the Language Center is Awesome! She helped me pass English 111 and English 112. I got an A with her help. Mina at the Writing Center did the same as well. I got an A with her help. - Ashley
- I came in [to the Language Center] yesterday. I didn't have appointment, but your team made time for me. Ben was patient, kind and understanding. English is not my first language, not even my second language, I needed lots of help. I was worried if I was able to get it all done because my paper was long. He took his time, explain[ed] to me when he made correction and he stayed with me until we finished. When I was done I felt great because of him. He's wonderful and I am glad he's there. - Mariam
- I just wanted to say thank you all so much for helping me again this semester. Without all of you I would be lost and every one of you was a pleasure working with as always. I wish I could have kept up the tradition of giving you all a pop-up card this semester, but given the current state of affairs, I will have to settle with sending you this email...I wish you all a safe and wonderful summer 😎🌞. Sincerely, Katie
Take a 360 Video-Tour of the ESL & World Language Center!
Use your mouse to drag the screen, and tour the center!
If you’d like to learn more about this and other Academic Support Centers, watch the following video:
Request an OrientationFaculty interested in having their students get to know the Center can request an orientation. A member of our staff will discuss our mission, goals, services, expectations for a tutoring session and much more! Please fill out our online request form. Orientation Request Form
- My professor told me that I need to go to the Language Center. What am I supposed to do there?
- What is the ESL Center? What is the purpose of the Center?
- Where is the Language Center located?
- Can any NOVA student use the ESL Center?
- How can I reach the Center?
- When are you open for tutoring this semester?
- Who runs the Center?
- It is difficult for me to come to the Language Center when it is open. Is there any way I can do my lab work at home?
- Where do I go to take a placement test and what should I expect?
- What is tutoring?
- Who are the tutors?
- What happens at a tutoring appointment?
- What do I need to bring?
- Can a tutor write my paper for me?
- What sort of questions can a tutor answer?
- How do I make an appointment?
- How many times can I get a tutorial?
- What is a Conversation Club?
- Will I have to pay to attend a workshop?
- What do I need to bring with me to a workshop?
- What software does the ESL Center have?
- Can anyone use the software?
- What do I need in order to use the software in the Center?
Movies & Audio
- Why are movies being offered by the ESL Center?
- Does it cost anything to watch a movie?
- Who is allowed to come and watch movies?
- I have an iPod/MP3 player/flash drive, etc. Can I copy/record/download audio materials myself from the Language Center computers?
- Testing Center in CA-115. Foreign language placement tests are not offered at the Language Center. All placement tests are written tests and do not test a student’s listening or speaking ability. Tests are not timed, but students should allow at least an hour for each test. Test results will be sent to the World Language Department — they will determine what class level a student should register.