Did you miss our Money Management Workshops this spring? If so, and if you’d still like to learn some quick tips on managing your personal finances you may view the presentation here.
April is National Financial Literacy Month! Do you feel like you have your finances in order? If you could use a little help check out the thirty steps to financial wellness at www.financialliteracymonth.com or schedule a free financial coaching session with NOVA’s Financial Coach, Diana Yacob, who is an Accredited Financial Counselor by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional money management tips and resources are available here.
Forty $100 awards that can be used towards educational costs at NOVA will be given away throughout the 2016-2017 academic year to randomly selected students who successfully complete Inceptia’s Financial Avenue courses online by the deadlines indicated below. Courses only take about 45 minutes to complete and provide students with knowledge of key personal finance concepts and a customized action plan based on their financial goals.
Official CashContest Rules:
In order to be entered in the $100 drawings you should do the following:
- Sign Up for Financial Avenue at https://fa.financialavenue.org/sign-up/ by entering NOVA’s access code: FinLit
- Provide your NOVA student email address (ending in @email.vccs.edu) during the registration process and provide your 7-digit NOVA student ID# when creating your new student account.
- Log in to Financial Avenue as a student at https://fa.financialavenue.org/fa-login/ using the username and password you created in the step above.
- Under “Courses” on the left side of the webpage select the course you would like to complete. Follow the prompts until you complete the course.
- Complete the course with an average score of at least 70% by the deadline shown below to be entered into the CashContest drawing for that course.
– The “Foundations of Money” course must be completed before 11:59pm on October 18, 2016.
– The “FAFSA” course must be completed before 11:59pm on December 18, 2016.
– The “Credit and Protecting Your Money” course must be completed before 11:59pm on March 5, 2017.
– The “Debt and Repayment” course must be completed before 11:59pm on May 7, 2017.
– The “Earning Money” course must be completed before 11:59pm on June 11, 2017.
- You must be enrolled in at least three credits at NOVA during Fall 2016 to be entered in the “Foundations of Money” and/or the “FAFSA” drawing. You must be enrolled in at least three credits at NOVA during Spring 2017 to be entered in the “Credit and Protecting Your Money” and/or the “Debt and Repayment” drawing. You must be enrolled in at least three credits at NOVA during Summer 2017 to be entered in the “Earning Money” drawing.
There will be eight $100 drawings for each of the five courses shortly after the due date for each course to randomly selected students who meet the requirements outlined above. Students who are selected to receive a $100 award will be notified via their NOVA student email account within 30 days after the deadline for completing the course.
Four of the drawings for each course will just be for students enrolled in at least three online credits who meet the requirements for the contest since the Extended Learning Institute (ELI) is partially sponsoring the CashContest. Those ELI students who are randomly selected through the drawings will receive a $100 gift card that can be used at one of NOVA’s Bookstores.
Students who are not enrolled in at least three ELI credits who meet the requirements for the contest will be entered in four separate drawings for each course they successfully complete and if they are randomly selected they will win a $100 grant applied toward their NOVA student account. If students have a $0 balance at the time the grant is applied toward their account then it will create a credit balance that is refunded in accordance with the College’s refund policies. Students may set up their refund preferences https://nvcc.afford.com/refunds. Over-awards created by the additional grant or gift card, though unlikely, would be resolved in the best interest of the student.
In total there will be twenty $100 bookstore gift cards offered to ELI students and twenty $100 grants offered to non-ELI students who successfully complete the Financial Avenue courses in accordance with the contest rules. If not enough students complete the courses to qualify for the drawings then the unused funds will be returned to the donor.
Please note that students are permitted to retake course quizzes and even an entire course if necessary to improve their average course score to at least 70% to be entered into the drawings. However, students will not receive multiple drawing entries for successfully completing a particular course more than once. This contest is open to all NOVA students who meet the requirements outlined above. However, please note that NOVA faculty and staff who happen to be taking classes at NOVA are not eligible for the $100 drawings. Odds of winning a $100 award will depend on how many students successfully complete each course. If you have any questions about the CashContest or the drawings, please contact the Financial Aid Support Center at 1-855-323-3199.
The courses that you may complete at https://fa.financialavenue.org/fa-login/ to be entered in the 16-17 CashContest are highlighted below.
Thank you for checking out the new Financial Literacy Blog coordinated by the College Financial Aid Office! We are excited about launching this new blog to help promote awareness of personal financial management topics that are very important for college students and their success!
We hope the resources provided on this blog inspire you to review your current financial situation and commit to certain actions that will improve your financial well-being. For some students that may mean creating a budget, applying for financial aid, setting up a savings plan, thinking creatively about cutting expenses, or perhaps tackling credit card debt. Whatever the case may be, we’re here for you!
We look forward to you sharing your thoughts, experiences, and advice on these topics as well! Please don’t hesitate to leave us a comment!