At ASC’s Writing Center, you will find qualified consultants and tutors who work with you to develop effective reading, writing, and critical thinking strategies. Writing consultants and tutors can help you plan your writing project, structure your essay, prepare an outline, revise your writing, learn how to proofread and edit (they cannot do this for you), clarify your paper ideas, format papers and citations properly, and/or discuss literature and poetry. Even if you’re a confident writer, they can offer you helpful feedback.
- Writing Appointments. Each NOVA student may have no more than 2 appointments per week. Any cancellations or rescheduling must be done at least 24 hours in advance.
- Advance appointments (made at least one day prior) are 50 minutes long. Appointments can be made up to two weeks in advance.
- Same day appointments are up to 30 minutes long. These appointments are on a first-come, first-served basis, and you must stay in the Writing Center to remain in the queue.
- Walk-In Writing Help. Walk-in writing tutors help students with quick questions, and are available from 9:00 am – 9:00 pm Monday-Thursday, and 9:00 am – 5:00 pm on Friday. There is no limit to walk-in tutoring. However, tutors may be helping multiple students at any given time.
- Online Submissions. If you email your paper to email@example.com, one of our writing consultants will respond within THREE business days with comments on your paper. As with in-person help, we will not edit or proofread your paper for you, but we will offer constructive feedback to help you become a better writer. You must use your NOVA email to submit your paper.
- Workshops. We offer workshops on various writing topics throughout the semester as part of the SEAS Program (Strategies for Educational and Academic Success). Check out the Workshop Calendar for specific topics, dates, times, and locations.
- Application Essays, Resumes, and Cover Letters. We will help you with your admissions and scholarship essays, as well as job search documents. These are the one exception to our policy of not editing or proofreading. With these documents, we will help you to make the best impression possible!
Locations and Hours:
Appointment services are located in AA-234. (703) 575-4709.
Hours are Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm; Friday from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. Appointment services will begin on Monday, August 29th.
Walk-in services are located in AA-229. (703) 845-6363.
Hours are Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm; Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Walk-in services will begin on Monday, September 12th.