With Fall 2019 semester now in full swing, the academic load can be overwhelming. Let’s take a moment to determine how we can make this a successful semester! Consider the following as you go about your everyday:
1. Stay Organized: Keep a detailed calendar for both your academic and social calendars and make sure they do not collide. Setting reminders in your phone and/or using sticky notes is a great method to staying on track.
2. Time Management: This may be the most important skill you master in your NOVA career and beyond. Prioritizing your work load is essential to your success! Make sure you set aside an appropriate amount of time for your class load each week in accordance to your work life. While you may be taking on a lot this semester, may sure you make time for self-care!
3. Don’t Cram or Over Study: As tempting as staying up until 3a.m. to study for that test may be, studies show that last minute cramming only leads to undo stress, sacrificed sleeping and ultimately poor test performance. Instead let’s practice time management discussed above.
4. Unplug & Disconnect: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram can be a great source for staying in touch with loved ones, friends, and acquaintances, however, it can be a huge distraction. In your appointed study hours consider turning off all social media accounts and focusing on the here and now.
5. Find Your Comfort Zone: It is all about finding what works for you. Whether it may be the quiet library, the busy coffee shop, or the local park with distance sounds of nature. We all operate different and finding the place to focus your mind is essential to your studying success!
6. Take a Break: Sometimes the work load can seem overwhelming. Take a break! Sometimes walking away from a tough paper you are writing or a stressful test you are studying for can give you a fresh perspective when you walk back to it. Allow yourself to clear your mind and regain focus.
We hope you can find these tips helpful in your NOVA success. Additional resources can be found at: https://www.nvcc.edu/novacares/resources.html
If you need additional support, feel free to email us at: NOVACares@nvcc.edu
As finals approach, stress can begin to rise. There are small things you can do to reduce your stress, such as trying to stay organized, plan ahead so you can manage studying with other life events, get 7- 8 hours of sleep each night, eat healthy (not processed food!), and turn off social media! These are all great ways to be prepared for those exams and papers – and to stay healthy as well! Sometimes, however, stress can be overwhelming. You don’t need to deal with it on your own. There is help for you! For more information, go to https://www.nvcc.edu/novacares/resources.html
NOVACares and NOVA SAS invites you to join us for this special event at the AL Campus on Wednesday Sept. 26th from 2-4 in Room AA-196.
Performance. Writing, and Conversations About Power and Inclusion.
Co-sponsored by NOVA Sexual Assault Services and NOVA AL Braden Center
NOVACares/ Sexual Assault Services Spring 2017 Events
Wednesday, January 18 – AL Welcome Week Resource Block Party (11:00am-2:00pm) Bisdorf Cafeteria
Monday, January 30 – AL Stalking Tabling (11:00am-2:00pm)
Monday, February 13 – AN Create Your Own Valentine (11:00am-2:00pm) CA 3rd floor
Tuesday, February 14 – AL Create Your Own Valentine! (11:00am-2:00pm)
Wednesday, February 15 – LO Healthy Relationship Tabling (11:00am-2:00pm) LC Café
Thursday, February 16 – WO Healthy Relationship Tabling (11:00am-2:00pm)
Wednesday, March 8 – AL Posting Red Flags
Monday, March 13 – AL The Red Flag Campaign (11:00am-2:00pm)
Wednesday, March 15 – LO Stalking Tabling (11:00am-2:00pm) LC Café
Thursday, March 16 – WO Staking Tabling (11:00am-2:00pm)
Tuesday, April 11- AL The Clothesline Project (9:00am-4:00pm) outside Bisdorf Cafeteria
Wednesday, April 12 – AL The Clothesline Project (9:00am-4:00pm) outside Bisdorf Cafeteria
Monday, April 17 – WO Posting Red Flags
Tuesday, April 18 – WO The Clothesline Project (9:00am-4:00pm)
Wednesday, April 19 – WO The Clothesline Project (9:00am-4:00pm)
Thursday, April 20 – WO The Red Flag Campaign (11:00am-2:00pm)
Tuesday, April 25 – LO The Clothesline Project (9:00am-4:00pm)
Wednesday, April 26 – LO The Clothesline Project (9:00am-4:00pm)
Thursday, April 27 – MA The Clothesline Project (9:00am-4:00pm) Howsmon Patio
Friday, April 28 – Denim Day