Student Spotlight: Women in STEM President at NOVA

“The NOVA Women in STEM club has introduced me to a diverse group of people from all six campuses, many of whom travel to Annandale for our weekly meetings. Collaborating with other clubs enhances the fun, and I’ve learned from everyone I’ve met here. I’m grateful for the unique and enriching Nighthawk experience.” ~ Judy Marouf

Last spring, Judy Marouf co-founded the NOVA Women in STEM Club. The club seeks to “present women that pursue STEM studies with the opportunities to depart from a transitory academic environment with the tools for success in their future endeavors.”

54% of NOVA is female, but only 17% of the engineering program is female and 21% of the Computer Science program is female. In this regard, the club seeks to be “a small force of change” in order to increase female engagement in STEM fields at the college.

The goals of Women in STEM are:

1. To create a safe space that offers a well-rounded support system full of uplifting connections and friendships.
  2. To provide members with the latest opportunities and information for academic and career development – including jobs, internships, scholarships, research, and transfer support.
  3. To organize exciting and enriching events, workshops, guest speakers, activities, trips, and games.

Judy serves as the club president, with her duties divided between internal and external responsibilities. Internally, Judy closely manages the board’s schedules and key tasks. She keeps the vice president and secretary updated, approves documents, helps the treasurer with fundraising, guides the membership chair in promotions, and sets goals with the social media manager. She also mentors the president intern for future leadership roles. Externally, she works with other student clubs and handles tasks like organizing events and ensuring the club meets all regulations.

Physics professor Manori Nadesalingam serves as the club advisor. Meetings take place at the Annandale Campus on Thursdays from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. The club has grown to almost 250 students on Discord and offers peer support, career resources, and organizes various events. Judy encourages all NOVA STEM students, regardless of gender, to participate in club events and join the Discord community to engage with and benefit from this diverse and active group. Join using this link: https://discord.gg/fqRFxE3qzf.

Judy will graduate this spring with an associate degree in business administration and plans to complete an associate degree in computer science this summer. She is considering a future career in project management.

Recently, Judy completed her first internship during the winter break with a program called Nvolve, designed to support women in overcoming barriers in STEM fields. As a web development intern, she significantly enhanced their website and trained other interns, gaining valuable experience.

Judy is also active in the FAB Lab Product Design Incubator, where she is paired with a mentor to enhance various skills, including resume building and technical development. Last semester, she developed an AI chatbot, a project supported by the Women’s STEM Club, which showcases program benefits like stipends and skill development. This experience has enriched her resume and provided key talking points for job interviews.

Additionally, she is a semifinalist for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship, which helps exceptional community college students transfer to top four-year institutions without incurring student debt. The winner will be announced in May.

As for her interest in STEM? “I was inspired by my oldest brother’s love for coding and robotics,” she says. “I’ve always looked up to him as a role model. In elementary school, I noticed I wasn’t naturally gifted in math, but I enjoyed the subject enough to challenge myself. I had to work twice as hard, but that didn’t stop me.” Clearly, her efforts have paid off!